Sunday, February 15, 2009

Cuttino Mobley Still Loves URI, Honored at Halftime of URI-St.Louis Game

Cuttino Mobley was inducted into the URI Athletic Hall of Fame and honored yesterday at halftime of the URI-St. Louis game, via ProJo Sports:

It was as if nothing had changed for Cuttino Mobley. He was an outgoing guy who laughed and talked a lot when he was at the University of Rhode Island, and he was the same way when he returned Saturday.

It has been a decade since Mobley last was on the Rhody campus, but the memories remain vivid for the former Rhody star. "I love it," said the 10-year NBA vet. "To see familiar faces, to see how URI has been built up. To see the new gym . . . It’s a great thing. Just to see everyone is a good feeling."

Mobley had been invited back previously during basketball season, but his NBA duties had kept him away. He retired earlier this season because of a heart ailment. He returned over the weekend to be one of six enshrined in the school’s athletic Hall of Fame.

"I was just kidding with some guys, saying ‘Let’s go to the Rams Den after the game,’ " he said. "I was telling them I’ve still got 200 points on my card . . . Seeing the graduate village, seeing all the dorms; I even saw the lady who served us at Hope (dining hall). "I never had a bad experience here,’’ he went on. "I love life."

Mobley is restricted from playing any type of basketball for a year. His heart will be checked at that point and a decision made on how to proceed. He is not worried. "You know me, I chill. I don’t get excited about it," he said. "I don’t think it’s a big deal but everybody else does. I take it day-by-day and love it. "You’ve got to retire some time," he said. "Unless you’re a reporter or a golfer. Then you don’t have to retire."

Coach Jim Baron invited Mobley to speak to the team before the game and Mobley accepted. His message, the players reported, focused on working hard.
More: URI

No comments:

Post a Comment